Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Writing Your Life Story


Driving down the street yesterday I saw a quote on a billboard that said, in essence, "you are the author of your own life story." Wow! It really got the wheels turning...


Since I am at a point in my life that I have no idea what the future will bring and have so many things "up in the air," it really made me stop and think.


Revisions aren't possible in this story. Are there things you would go back and rewrite if you could? Also, kind of like the process of writing- does the story end how you predicted it would when you started?


Does your life story involve suspense, elaborate plot twists that leave the reader hanging to find out what happens next?


And, when do we know that we are finished writing? When is the story done? Is it death that signals "the end" or is it something else? Happily Ever After? Until Next Time...


So as I'm thinking about it I kind of like this idea. You know there are probably things I'd edit or revise if I were writing my own story, but for the most part the experiences make the story all the richer. They add an unexpected element, comic relief, drama, and even a few moral lessons too.


And not knowing how it will all end is part of the fun, isn't it? The anticipation, the suspense... I hate watching movies where you know how it will end before it even begins. It's kind of like- why waste my time here? Nothing to learn- been there, done that, got the shirt. Ya know? I recently had a relationship like that as well. I knew what was gonna happen after a week of knowing him. I predicted we'd at least stay friends which didn't happen, but otherwise I was correct in predicting that it would implode very quickly (5 weeks!).


So... I'm kind of excited at all the unknown. I am realizing that I do need to set some goals for where I'd like to be financially, career-wise, health-wise, etc. But, at the same time, I do know that every time I've fully plotted out a timeline of goals, the best laid plans get all blown to hell by some unexpected event.


Like working in my last HR job. I was so sure it was the right thing for me, was so excited, started making plans of how other things were going to fall in to place in my life and BAM! I got laid off 6 months later. And then spent another 6 months unemployed. So much for that plan, huh?


But, the struggle of that time allowed me to re-evaluate a lot of things and glean what was truly important. And most of all, it stripped away all the excuses of why I kept putting off finishing my bachelor's degree.


So... I say relish the thought of blank pages yet to be written! Turn the page and see where the story takes you.


No comments: