Friday, July 25, 2008

Can't believe I did it!

After some convincing from a guy friend of mine, I decided to go out by myself last night. As mentioned in a previous post, I really wanted to go see a local band play, but didn't have anyone to go with me. This totally played into a goal I set for myself years ago in which I determined things that I would need to learn to be comfortable doing all alone. Like if I'm going to be truly independent and "okay" with being single, I can't depend on others to hang out with. So, need to learn to eat out, go to the movies, travel by myself.

Since the cover charge was only $3, I decided that I would just go and try it and if I felt uncomfortable then I'd return home. So, I went, chatted with a cutie from North Carolina (are you shocked that he's only 23!), and then got hit on by the bouncer (he's my age). The bouncer screams bad boy. Tall, bald, tattoos, piercing, tough guy demeanor... you know he's probably a teddy bear beneath all that, but still... Anyway, I asked him to watch my drink for me while I went to the bathroom and he took it as hitting on him. Guys are sooo funny that way!

Now for the band... The opening act was really awesome! The lead singer was really cool too (met him after their set). And then finally, the reason for being there! Charlie and co. totally rocked out! I'll probably be tone deaf all day today, but don't care- I had a lot of fun! Also chatted with Charlie about how we "know" each other. It was cool.

For those of you who aren't up to speed, Charlie and I grew up in the same town. He's over a decade younger though and was in kindergarten when I was a Senior in High School. But, being such a small town, I know his parents and grandparents, etc. Charlie knows my younger brother really well (just a year apart in school) but knew of me, just didn't know I was such a fan of his band! Good Times.

~~~
Yesterday afternoon I got in on a discussion among some co-workers at my job. They were talking about marriage and what makes it successful. One guy theorized that the reason he and his wife stayed together versus others is that they do everything together. They are best friends and don't want to do stuff without each other. I will expand on this further in a future post, but found his comments interesting.

~~

I'm nervous for work today. Our big event is just hours away and I'm anxious to see if all the pieces fall into place and if we pull it all off. I'm sure it will go well, but it's nail-biting time!

1 comment:

Kel said...

Good for you!!!!
I have the same problem. I can go to dinner by myself (had to learn that one by travelling for work - if I didn't eat by myself, I didn't eat!), I can go to movies by myself, bookstore...lots of things, but going to a bar by myself...haven't pulled that one off yet. I did go to a bar by myself once...but out of town, and it was a hotel bar...not so bad. I haven't tried it locally yet.
Funny that you did it just last night. I had decided I wanted to go to an outdoor concert lastnight and had settled in that I would be going alone and was ok with it, when at the last minute a friend of mine called and asked if she could come along. So...GOOD FOR YOU! You're my hero!

PS - I hopr your event goes well! :)