Sunday, July 20, 2008

Loving the Single Life (well, most of the time)

I really like being single. I think that's a lot of the reason I've managed to dodge the "marriage bullet" all this time. Maybe a lot of it is fear too. I fear that marriage will lead to a loss of freedom, a loss of self, the realization of a grievous error in judgement and ending up more miserable than I already am at times.

That said, there are only a few occasions when being single, well, kinda sucks! Like holidays. Family reunions and times when you are around only married people who also have kids (Hey wanna see pics of my cats? ). It also sucks at times when you are the 3rd, 5th, 7th wheel- basically odd woman (or man) out. Most people are cool with this, but there are the occasional "don't you dare acknowledge my husband, Bitch!" chicks. And then, there are the things that you want to do that you can't/won't do alone and that your friends just don't want to do. Guy oriented stuff. Stuff that even a gay guy friend probably wouldn't enjoy either. Stuff like hang out at the local dive bar and drink cheap beer and shoot pool or cheer on the local team at the ballpark.

Having guys visit my house recently really reinforced how much I love to be single and how difficult it will be for me to adjust to being "coupled" if I ever meet the right person to couple up with. There's the stereotypical toilet seat thing and then having to share space when I'm used to sprawling across my bed. And then there's the whole, cleaning up after them thing. Since when am I their mother? I know it's my house, but isn't it polite to ask where the empty beer bottles go? Or offer to help clean up? Seriously guys!

So anyway, I'm totally bummed because I really want to go see a live band play, but the bar is kinda scary and I probably won't know anyone there, so I don't feel comfortable going alone. It really sucks! I'm hating it that the 23 year old guy lives so far away. He'd be a perfect candidate for this task! But, alas, it won't work to invite him... Dang it!

~~~
Today I talked to my family again about having my parents pick out a guy for me to date. I'm really thinking about this. I have such a horrible track record in attracting guys that I think this is a really viable option. Although I they have different criteria for choosing a guy (high on my mom's list: the guy must be Catholic and lack tattoos or piercings). None of these things are on my list, except maybe that I'd prefer he wasn't Catholic and prefer that he have tattoos and piercings.

I still stick to my assertion though that I'd like to meet a guy like my brother but a lot less "country." I met a really nice farmer Friday night (a guy a lot like my brother). He's single, cute, a great dancer and overall nice guy. But... he's a farmer and lives in a tiny town about an hour away. He reminded me a lot of a cowboy that I dated many moons ago, but I just can't go there... Not yet anyway.

No comments: